Tuesday 13 November 2007

Some simple knowledge finger fun ...

Why should the wedding ring be worn on the fourth finger?




There is a beautiful and convincing explanation
given by the Chinese.....

Thumb represents your Parents
Second (Index) finger represents your Siblings
Middle finger represents your-Self
Fourth (Ring) finger represents your Life Partner
& the Last (Little) finger represents your children

Firstly, open your palms (face to face), bend the
middle fingers and hold them together - back to back

Secondly, open and hold the remaining three fingers
and the thumb - tip to tip
(As shown in the figure below):








(bend the middle fingers)

Now, try to separate your thumbs (representing the
parents)..., they will open, because your parents
are not destined to live with you lifelong, and have
to leave you sooner or later.
Please join your thumbs as before and separate your
Index fingers (representing siblings)...., they will
also open, because your brothers and sisters will
have their own families and will have to lead their
own separate lives.

Now join the Index fingers and separate your Little
fingers (representing your children)...., they will
open too, because the children also will get married
and settle down on their own some day.

Finally, join your Little fingers, and try to
separate your Ring fingers (representing your
spouse).
You will be surprised to see that you just
CANNOT....., because Husband & Wife are destined to remain
together all their lives - through thick and thin!!








OK - hands up how many of you tried doing it even just for fun or to prove me wrong ?




Did you also know some people say the ring is worn only on left hand because a nerve from your left ring finger directly connects to the heart! I don't know if I learnt this in anatomy and pysiology at Uni ~ still quite an interesting theory ! Tell me more ...




(Disclaimer - just sharing something cute and simple no offense intended for anyone not married or those divorced)

5 comments :

Veronica Foale said...

I think it sucks that you have to add a disclaimer to avoid offence.

I hadn't heard why it was the 4th finger, thankyou for enlightening me :)

PS I am not married...yet.

Anonymous said...

I thought it was an artery that ran from ring finger to heart but I also have no idea where I know it from???

The history of the wedding ring is very interesting.

Great post. I love learning new things.

Amanda said...

I remember hearing this one at a wedding. The priest told it during the homily. Still, I tried doing it again when I read your post.

M the Mommy said...

That is totally cute and fun! I am going to link to this post next week for my Linky Love Tuesday!

Anonymous said...

I had never heard it, and, yes, I tried it...

33 years and it still won't budge, made me smile, of course, my hand aches from testing it.

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.

Please know that even when I do not respond specifically to your comment - I treasure each comment made and consider it a thoughtful act of friendship.
https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=14131376#othersettings
So what do you have to say ? Share with me ...
add your ingredients to this recipe we call life.