Monday 7 January 2008

Staying one step ahead of a teenager

or how to get even

okay ... so I might be the meanest mum but hey I laughed so much it was worth it.

One of my intentions in 08 is to stay one step a head of my teen. I know, I said my intention was to show him more respect but it cuts both ways.

We had the usual today I am not doing xxxxx.

Why is everyone else having fun ?.... blah blah blah and worse curse curse curse a mouthful of hateful words and foul garbage spewing out of his once every so sweet mouth. (Mummy am I your little darling ?)

So when he was outside I changed a few settings on the computer ... oh the password to log on , his name & hotmail display picture (to the duck) and his tag line (Snow White rocks). Then I waited for him to come back inside sulking and smart mouthed yet again.

I had already slipped Windows Family Safety on to his computer - we only just yesterday connected it to the Internet (right near mine so I can see what he gets up too) . Before he used mine and we had so many arguments about whose turn it was. Mine always...

He was 'mad' to say the least - especially when a few of his friends knew about Snow White ... he was begging me to change it back ... especially the duck - oh for goodness sake !

I let him eventually and the threat of deleting his hotmail or blocking his contacts ... had him scared (and in tears) but still angry at the injustice. Me, I don't care. He needs to learn a little respect.

Yesterday, his father left him at the boat ramp ( 6 mins drive from home but probably a good 1.5 hr walk) because of his cheek and carry on. I am usually the mean mum .I was the hero when I went to get him after 15 mins. I was already on my way home when DH left him behind. D had actually got out of the car, refused to get back in and said I am walking home - so DH let him and drove off.

Dh was mad and it takes a lot to get him mad. He is the most patient man on earth (he has had a lot of practice with me ). Dear Son's friends were here to see him slink in embarrassed but still grinning like he had won. The cheeky brat wanted me to pull over so he could walk in and pretend he had walked

D isn't a bad kid but just going through a rebellious phase and sadly his friends have too much freedom, money and electronic gadgets that he craves . He sees injustice that he doesn't have it all too. I know he tries hard sometimes to be good but he does a lot of uncool stuff.

I remember this brilliant piece Don't mess with Mom.

Anyway - there are still 3 weeks till he goes back to school ... give me strength. Tomorrow, he is going to work with his Father (for $$) ... peace will reign.

11 comments :

Paula said...

That is hilarious mum! Good work. Nothing like a little humor to get a point across.

Teens.....shivver! My philosophy...is that children are more labor intensive in the beginning...but the challenges get larger and larger as they age (oh and more expensive too!).

Sounds like he very normal. Keep up the good work!

Kellan said...

Yes - I have two 15 year old teens that are forever trying to test my nerves. This was so funny - you go mom!! Take care and good luck with your teen. Kellan

Anonymous said...

BRAVO!!!!
I will have to remember that one!
You are not a mean mummy, just a bloody smart one.

Mom Knows Everything said...

My daughter is almost 14 and the sarcasm is starting to get on my nerves. We fight over the computer too. Gotta love teenagers eh!

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...

Paula - you are right about them getting more expensive and being a bigger challenge.

Kellan - yes I think I will get pay back when S & J get to their teens if I don't play my cards right.It is a learning curve.

Thanks Tiff - I tell him all the time I may not know everything but I am smarter and quicker than he is.

Tammy - yes , we have two computers set up on the internet now to ease this argument.My husband said if we plug one in for him too - S & J will be orphans. Dh hardly uses the computer luckily for Me ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh, goodness! Glad these years are still several years away! Pretty creative though - the Snow White Rocks tag line is pure genius : D

Veronica Foale said...

You changed his MSN picture and put Snow White rocks as his tag line? *gasp* You are horrid!

(can you hear my sarcasm?)

Good on you! I definitely can wait for the teenage years.

Anonymous said...

LOL that was brilliant - and an idea I'm going to have to keep up my sleeve.

This sounds so much like my son from the fights over the computer to him not doing anything and the delightful words that spew from his mouth - I'm eagerly awaiting the day this wonderful stage has passed and he goes back to being a pleasant person to be around all of the time rather than the rare glimpse I'm getting at the moment :-)

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...

Childlife & Veronica - LOL *gasp* I changed his name to one of the seven dwarfs too (wicked I know). I am glad I will have time to get over him before S & J get there.

Vanessa - I know what you mean - those glimpses are few and far between *sigh*.

I hindsight I still feel a bit mean but only a bit ;)

Robyn Jones said...

He can go to counselling to deal with his issues when he grows up....(at least that is what i tell my teen girls when they don't like what i do....You Rock...way to go! Moms everywhere applaud you. (you gave me a good laugh!)

Qtpies7 said...

You most definatly need to see my WW, lol. Print it out and paste it up! LOL

Also, for more great torture ideas you should read http://boobsinjuriesanddrpepper.blogspot.com/2007/08/role-model.html She knows how to torture a teen, but good.

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.

Please know that even when I do not respond specifically to your comment - I treasure each comment made and consider it a thoughtful act of friendship.
https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=14131376#othersettings
So what do you have to say ? Share with me ...
add your ingredients to this recipe we call life.