Saturday 8 March 2008

International Women's Day


today is Smiley Saturday (hosted by Lightening) ... and most importantly it is

International Women's Day

The day remains an official holiday in Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Cameroon, China, Cuba, Italy, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Macedonia, Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Russia, Serbia, Tajikistan, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, and Vietnam, and is observed by men giving the women in their lives - mothers, wives, girlfriends, colleagues, etc., flowers and small gifts. In some countries it is also observed as an equivalent of Mother's Day, where children also give small presents to their mothers and grandmothers. (source :Wikipedia)

Wow - *sigh* not in my house !
Though, I humbly admit, my husband treats me pretty well every day, better than I treat him. He isn't the romantic gushing type by any means but when he does I know he means it. Life is just so busy these days we don't get a chance to buy gifts or flowers. He picks me roses from our garden sometimes. I am a big frugal and don't like the waste of buying them.

So lets celebrate and recognise the achievements of women across the globe - the collective power of women past, present and future . Charge your glasses and raise them high - say I am woman and hear me roar !

Remember it is the Ultimate blog party week so spread your wings and meet some new friends.

Now ... the lyrics to the song “I am woman, hear me roar(click to hear it on you tube)by Helen Reddy and Ray Burton.

I am woman, hear me roar
In numbers too big to ignore
And I know too much to go back an’ pretend
‘Cause I’ve heard it all before
And I’ve been down there on the floor
No one’s ever gonna keep me down again

Oh yes, I am wise
But it’s wisdom born of pain
Yes, I’ve paid the price
But look how much I gained
If I have to
I can do anything
I am strong (strong)
I am invincible (invincible)
I am woman

You can bend but never break me
‘Cause it only serves to make me
More determined to achieve my final goal
And I come back even stronger
Not a novice any longer
‘Cause you’ve deepened the conviction in my soul

Oh, yes, I am wise
But it’s wisdom born of pain
Yes, I’ve paid the price
But look how much I gained
If I have to
I can face anything
I am strong (strong)
I am invincible (invincible)
I am woman

I am woman watch me grow
See me standing toe to toe
As I spread my lovin’ arms across the land
But I’m still an embryo
With a long, long way to go
Until I make my brother understand

Oh, yes, I am wise
But it’s wisdom born of pain
Yes, I’ve paid the price
But look how much I gained
If I have to
I can face anything
I am strong (strong)
I am invincible (invincible)
I am woman

Oh, I am woman
I am invincible
I am strong

I am woman
I am invincible
I am strong
I am woman

You can still find out more about International Women's Day and Megan @ Imaginif has a great post today too .Edited to add - also please check out Amy's @ Crunchy domestic Goddess.

This week I had lots of reasons to smile the brothers give me joy every day and I am so thankful for their health -we had a checkup at the Children's hospital this week and so far so good.

I smiled because I am still in the top 100 Australian Women's Bloggers (I thought the first time it was a fluke) .

I smiled because I found more blogs to add to my bursting goggle reader and I hope you did too (thanks to my new subscribers). I read so many funny blog entries this week - one day I will have to take note of all the links.

What made you smile ? why don't you join us too ...

9 comments :

The Miss of Abyss said...

What a fantastic post!

You've done really well with combining Smiley Saturday and drawing attention to International Women's Day.

And big fat happy congratulations on your ranking at Australian Women's Bloggers. :)

Deb said...

Cute little bro's up there on the right hand corner.
Thanks for visiting my blog and telling me how you named your babes.
Thanks for reminding me it was International Women's Day, I have a couple of friends I'll have to send a special greeting to.
Love your blog I'll be back!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog this morning. :) And yes, thats so true that today is International Women's Day. I had *almost* forgotten that. Women friends are amazing and if we're blessed with even a few close female friends, our lives are greatly enriched. I would be lost with my female mentors and friends.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, I now have that song in my head! :) Great post Trish. Good to hear the brothers are doing well too.

agrantham81 said...

hey,
Thanks for stopping by my blog. And thanks for the song, I needed it this morning. Shame my Laptop wont get too loud, could really do with it blaring today.

Widdle Shamrock said...

I am Strong
I am Invincible
I am WOMAN !!!!

Gosh, Can't stop humming it now....

:)

Anonymous said...

Oh Trish, I LOVE that song. My kids all know it too (mind you, they grew up hearing me sing it!!!!)
Happy International Women's Day to you and I hope that the spirit of women's strength, difference, diversity and tenacity stays with you the year through.
What an appropriate week for you to make the top 100 Aussie bloggers. Congratulations woman.

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...

thanks Anja,Debz,Maggie,Agrantham, Nikki Tracey and Megan - congratulations to you all and I can't stop humming the song either LOL !

I updated a new link to Amy @ Crunch domestic Goddess too.

Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

so nice to see another post about international women's day! :) thx for the linky love too.

we are women. hear us roar!

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.

Please know that even when I do not respond specifically to your comment - I treasure each comment made and consider it a thoughtful act of friendship.
https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=14131376#othersettings
So what do you have to say ? Share with me ...
add your ingredients to this recipe we call life.