Wednesday 17 February 2010

Wednesday

I was trying to remember what I used to do with the housework my time before joining Facebook & Twitter ...then I started wondering what I did with all my time before the age of the Internet & broadband connection. (Ok you twisted my arm I played solitaire on my computer).

I 've had an Internet connection in some way for about 10 yrs. I loved visiting my parents on Sunday night because they had fast broadband (like Kate@picklebums) and Mum cooked a roast (baked) dinner too while I surfed. Sure I copped flack over it but I didn't mind ;)

Lately, I've felt I needed to cut back even more. Since I have a lot of stuff to do - I just did.

I read a very poignant post yesterday ...Love in the time of the Internet. It is essential reading. My husband barely touches a computer (has his own lapop though) except to move mine around. He just doesn't see how 'the connections' are so important to me. He is much more important to me ...just saying.

Sometimes, when I wonder will I ever be able to be guilt free about marking all as read when my google blog reading list gets too long(....1000+) I have to stop myself. The world won't end if I do it or rather don't.

I feel bad when I know some people who comment on my posts only get a few comments. Iread their posts but I don't have time to click through & comment when I really have stuff to do or two busy boys.

I try to fill my life with positive thoughts and positive people, but there are people in blogland who never get much 'face to face' encouragement or even friendship due to illness, isolation or idiosyncrasises. Maybe cyber space keeps them from slashing their wrists or worse.

By the way ... in return I don't pixxy when people don't comment on my posts, or return emails or DM's or FB wall comments, or text messages because I know 'hey they have real face to face family & friends too , plus their own legion of followers to pacify ...you get it.

So I try to be as guilt free as possible ...right now I must go to bed or else my Man will not be happy ;).




Never miss a post

8 comments :

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

It is hard to find the balance between internet and real life. Internet definitely helps me as a stay at home mom stay sane.

Brenda said...

That was a brilliant read, wasn't it? And, I'm with you Trish on the too-busy to click on the post thing. I feel soooo guilty too. But hey, real life should come first right? Right?

Mum-me said...

Couldn't have put it better myself - I too was thinking, just the other day, about all the things I used to do before we had broadband internet connection. Checking emails or doing online shopping used to be a once-a-day activity when you had to dial up. Now the computer is on all day and the temptation to sit down and read blogs or whatever is often overwhelming. Some days I just turn the computer off.

SquiggleMum said...

Oh I so hear you on this one. It's really, really tough to be a good blogger and still maintain good offline relationships. Someone reminded me this week that "flesh and blood come first" which I probably needed to hear. Hubby and I have just committed to switching both laptops off at 8:30 for a week to reconnect with each other...

Cathy said...

I get everything you're saying :) it's almost midnight and i'm waiting for the clock to tick over so i can blog about my 10th anniversary lol...must really get to bed!!!

Unknown said...

I feel that this connection should be a positive one. One that makes you feel like you're not the only one out there. One that makes you feel connected. Like you, I'm always trying to find the right balance. xx

Unknown said...

I hear ya! Finding the balance is key. I try to stay of the computer when my husband is home as I know it iritates him. But then again you know what they say "happy wife, happy life!"!!
Enjoy your weekend and thanks for sharing. x

allison tait said...

This is a great post Trish. So much to think about here. And you're right about the guilt. Keeping up connections requires a lot of time - and it has to be said that the ones in the same room as you are the most important.

Thanks for Rewinding at the Fibro today! :-)

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.

Please know that even when I do not respond specifically to your comment - I treasure each comment made and consider it a thoughtful act of friendship.
https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=14131376#othersettings
So what do you have to say ? Share with me ...
add your ingredients to this recipe we call life.