Thursday 16 June 2011

First Bite , Good taste and First readers issue

I adore reading food magazines and getting inspiration in my everyday cooking. 

I also enjoy watching Masterchef but it is so far from the norm in our house. I just can't cook as fancy as that (with 4 fusspots) or with those ingredients.

I don't purchase magazines as often as I would like. In 20 years of marriage I have amassed quite a collection of 'food' magazines.I confess I am a magazine hoarder , I hate to throw them out.

The lastest issue of  


has me chomping at the bit to get my gear on apron on and start cooking. I enjoy 'good taste'

Woolworths Australian Good Taste handed over the reigns to its readers in an Australian first to create the aptly titled Readers Issue.

It gave 50 passionate readers the chance to put on the editors hat. They had the control and the power to create the June issue cover to cover ...


 an experience that Australian Good Taste Editor, Brodee Myers-Cooke describes as “without a doubt [her] career highlight”. 
... for the readers and by the readers. The 50 reader editors were picked from hundreds who put their hands up.
Even though I was sent the current JUNE issue free by Morey Media I needed no encouragement to write about it because it's practically perfect :). 

The first copy went missing so I only just received it yesterday in the post box. This is not a paid review.

I've popped this post up asap so you don't miss your chance to grab a copy. I am not one to gush over a food magazine but this is inspirational and so creative. Imagine the fun they had.

Reader editors were also given the opportunity to discuss the final draft and layout of the issue with Fresh Food Chef and Readers Issue Ambassador Tobie Puttock who couldn’t have been more full of praise for the issue and the reader editors’ winter-warming choices: “The food looks absolutely amazing … It’s stuff I would like to eat on a cold winter’s night – comfort food, but it’s also quite elaborate.”
They chose the recipes, seasonal ingredients and other features like top cooking tips and time saving tips. 

“READER ISSUE” FEATURES:

  • Get-Ahead Dinners- Here’s a truly ingenious idea from the reader editors: five fabulous family-friendly mid-week meals to be started on Sunday, so you’re all ready to go for the weeknight rush hour;

  • In Season: The Taste of June- There’s no better winter pleasure than hibernating in your snug kitchen, turning seasonal produce into heart-warming dishes;

  • Time Saver: Thrice As Nice- Make a big batch of something delicious, serve half right away, then freeze the rest to twist, not once, but twice for three delicious meals.
I really like the 20 weeknight dinner planner - with top picks of all the recipes featured.I am going to the website www.australiangoodtaste.com.au to print my planner, plan and number the recipes in the order I want to cook them. I like 

  • Ready Set slow: - using your slow cooker beyond casseroles and stews...mmm

After reading the Planning Queen's Planning with Kids chapter on meal planning I think it is going to help me become more organised.Well here's hoping.

Ps The winner of The ECCO shoes giveaway is Deborah from Wild Hope


What's your favourite family food magazine ?
ps Pop over to  Becky & James  she has a competition running to win $50 nut hamper + 3 month subscription to Australian Good Taste magazine.
Here is my entry:
I make these from scratch , so easy and easy and no mixer. Rich and decadent but so, so good.
  • 150g butter (melted)
  • 1 cup Nestle Baking cocoa
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 cups sugar (I used caster sugar)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
  • ¾ cup plain flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 pkt (250g) of white choc bits [is the standard recipe - I altered the recipe and I only used 100g each of white and 100g milk ...skimping on chocolate in no way affected taste I add extra nuts see below]
  • 50rms or more if you like nuts - of your choice {I do tend to toast them first for better flavour}.
  1. Preheat oven to 160 °C .Line an 18cm x 28cm [lamington tin] with baking paper (I lined it right up the sides ,makes it easy to lift out and nothing sticks).
  2. Melt butter and stir in NESTLE Baking cocoa [since I got it off their tin]. Cool slightly (though the white choc bits will disguise the eggy bits if you forget)
  3. Mix in eggs. STIR in sugar & vanilla (DO NOT TRY TO BEAT it makes a big mess trust me on this )
  4. Sift flour and baking powder together, add to cocoa mixture and stir until thoroughly mixed.
  5. Stir through 200gm choc bits and 50gm chopped nuts  ( white,milk or dark , I have used pecans, walnuts or almonds whatever I had in the cupboard - save some un-chopped for the top if you prefer)
  6. Spoon mixture into tin , evenly it is quite thick. (Sprinkle your extra flaked almonds or press in halved or 1/4 pecans or walnuts or a few choc bits to keep hubby and the teen interested).
  7. Bake in preheated oven for 45-50 mins or until just firm when pressed in the centre.It will be moist and slightly chewy. Cook a little longer (5 mins) if you prefer a more cake like brownie or crunchier sides (watch very carefully so they don't burnt).
  8. Cool in the tin for 20 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool. Serve cut into squares dusted with icing sugar / baking cocoa or choc powder if so desired or .
  9. Serve warm with ice-cream/cream and top with grated or flaked "flake" chocolate or more nuts of choice.

 
  Never miss a post