Thursday 7 February 2013

Coconut Honey Oat Bars


I was given this recipe by my Sister in law - {it came from a magazine or recipe book}- and my boys love it ...so do I.
They take 5mins preparation time - no eggs, no milk and no nuts.

1 cup rolled oats (I've used crushed up weetbix when I didn't have quite a cup)
1 cup sultanas
1/2 cup wholemeal self-raising flour
1/2 cup coconut
1/2 cup raw sugar
150g butter
1 tablespoon honey


(I sometimes add 2 tablespoon of flax-seed meal and I've experimented with only 1/3 up sugar or brown sugar instead of raw and they still taste great)

Method

  1. Preheat oven to 190 °
  2. Melt butter and add honey.
  3. Sift flour (if you like I don't) and return husks to bowl with oats, sultanas and coconut - stir butter and honey mix into dry ingredients. Mixture should cling together. 
  4. Press evenly into 28cm x 18cm Lamington pan.
  5. Bake for 15- 20 mins - until golden. TIP - Underbake slightly if you prefer them softer . I like them a little crunchy.
  6. Cut into bars while hot and remove from tin when cold - they can be quite crumbly but the crumbs are more'ish.
I was saving a few pieces to photograph but my boys got to them before I could ...will update later.