Tuesday 12 March 2013

How Eskimos keep Their Babies Warm and more than one way to parent a child

Book Review
I've been doing a lot more reading lately. I can't wait till the weather cools to snuggle up on the couch or under the doona with a book. There is nothing more satisfying.

I've always been an avid reader but since the Internet children I've read less and less. Reading a book (s) for my own enjoyment used to be a part of my daily activity, now I'm more dependent on technology and finding less time to read 'paper' books. I do read to my children most nights and listen to them read home readers 4-5 days a week

I was sent several books to review in the past month so I've been very busy.

How Eskimos keep Their Babies : Parenting wisdom from around the world , has been absolutely delightful.


I learn so many things through reading. Reading gives me insight into other peoples lives and cultures and this book was eye opening.



A charming insight into child-rearing practices across the globe


How Eskimos Keep Their Babies Warm is the perfect read for fans of bestselling parenting book French Children Don't Throw Food.

'A captivating book, filled with some genuinely useful (and jaw-dropping) child-rearing tips from all over the world' Amy Chua, author of Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother

For any parent weary of the so-called 'expert advice' peddled in books and on TV, How Eskimos Keep Their Babies Warm lifts the lid on how other cultures parent their children, with some interesting – and surprising – insights. Mei-Ling Hopgood explores how mums and dads in other countries approach such issues as bedtime, potty training, healthy eating and playtime squabbles and offers some fascinating new perspectives on how to do things.

This inspiring, engaging and fun read proves that there are many ways to be a good parent - and more than one way to raise a child.
I've been a parent for almost 19yrs and spent 10yrs nursing children in hospital. I'm still learning how to be a better parent.

How Eskimos Keep Their Babies Warm is captivating and entertaining while providing views from other parents and solid research from anthropologists and childcare experts, it's interspersed with the author's experience and observation, to explore and back up the different parenting methods observed.

The author, Mei-Ling Hopgood has a warm , 'honest' personality and she writes with humour and gentle wit. I've learned a whole lot of new ideas and had some of my own views challenged.

Mei-Ling doesn't agree with everything and even challenges what experts tell parents ...especially about potty training infants. It was interesting and easy to read.

I am an accidental 'attachment parent' who breastfed because I could, practiced baby 'wearing' for a short time (because twins do make it more challenging) and co-slept because it worked for us. I had no set ideas and I didn't have solid reasons one way or the other. I've never openly judged other parents and I tried never to offend people ...though breastfeeding my preschoolers was certainly offensive to some.

The message is clear there is no way to be a perfect parent and a million ways to be a good one!

There is just no need to attack other parents choices. I enjoyed this post by Emma too.

Disclaimer: No financial payment  was received . One copy of  How Eskimos Keep Their Babies Warm was sent to me by PAN MACMILLAN AUSTRALIA Books.All opinions are my own. Like them on Facebook

Linking up with    Jess  #IBOT