Saturday 21 September 2013

Conquer The Basher

This morning I was awake at stupid o clock to go for a run with my local women's running group.

I am a reluctant hill runner.

The loop was about 7km, including the infamous



I drive this hill often. I thought ...it's not that bad.

"It's a hill. Get over it."

I was wrong.

"If the hill has its own name, then it's probably a pretty tough hill."
- Marty Stern

Why should I bother ?

"Running hills breaks up your rhythm and forces your muscles to adapt to different stresses. The result? You become a stronger runner."
-Eamonn Coughlin

I joined the runners half way along , after we reached the ascent even they were puffed and had walked a little . I ran all the way - albeit slower than they did.

We ran on to where they had started. Two ladies wanted to reach 10km (as the loop was only 7km) they ran back where we had come from for 1.5km and then turned around. I continued on to run down the Basher.

Sweet .

"If you never attempt the ascent, you'll never know the thrill of swooshing down the other side."
-Author unknown



Tomorrow I can't wait to run across 9km Sydney Harbour Bridge in Blackmores Sydney Running Festival . I've climbed it, walked across it, crossed it by train , overhead by plane (and in 4 seater one too) , travelled under it by ferry and tall ship.




"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves."
-Sir Edmund Hillary

I never thought I be getting up early to go running a year or so ago. Let along push myself and I'm loving it.

Yesterday was a stressful day and lots of things didn't go to plan. Running this morning helped me reassess the big picture and it motivates me to never give up.

Life is good.

What has been inspiring you lately ?