Tuesday 22 October 2013

GOING PINK for a PURPOSE - help me make it to the finishing line.


A shout out to all Melbourne women [& Women everywhere because I've signed up too]  –   GO  PINK  FOR A  PURPOSE      

Thousands of women will unite in Catani Gardens St Kilda, Melbourne, on Sunday 8 December, to run or walk in the 28th Sussan Women’s Fun Run with 5km, 10km and a new Half Marathon. It will be my first HM. Personally, my biggest challenge after diagnosis.
“We are thrilled to have record entries for the 2013 event,” said David Hansen, Managing Director of event organiser SuperSprint Events. “We are delighted to once again be supporting Breast Cancer Network Australia (BCNA) by encouraging our participants to GO PINK for a Purpose, and are delighted to have record numbers fundraising for a great cause.”

This year’s event will see participants running or walking in the 5km, 10km or newly introduced 21.1km half marathon event.
{wave to me as I crawl past}
“A Tribute Field of Pink Lady silhouettes will be another prominent addition to the 2013 Sussan Women’s Fun with participants, who are running or walking in memory of or in support for someone with breast cancer, encouraged to place a tribute message on one of the several hundred Pink Lady silhouettes.

This year they are hosting a very special post run celebration - the inaugural Sussan PINK-nic. Beautifully located in a specially dressed area, our Sussan PINK-nic provides Sussan Women’s Fun Runners an opportunity to continue to enjoy the buzz of finishing and share a yummy picnic brunch

Every day, 41 Australian women are diagnosed with breast cancer and seven will lose their lives to the disease. Breast cancer is the most common cancer in Australian women, with one in 8 Australian women diagnosed before the age of 85. 

I have a personal reason to run  following my breast cancer diagnosis in June 2012. I was a healthy weight, moderately fit and training for City to Surf. It was very unexpected.

I have also chosen to run because ...

BCNA encourages women to stay active after a diagnosis of breast cancer, with evidence suggesting that lifestyle factors including moderate levels of physical activity can reduce the risk of breast cancer returning by 24% and reduce the risk of death by a third compared to inactive women.

After surgery to remove the cancer, 6 months  chemotherapy treatment and now almost 12 months of Herceptin treatment (specific for my type of Breast Cancer), I am doing well . I have one more small treatment to go ; that I didn't know about till last Thursday when I saw the Oncologist - my 52nd week (because 17 Herceptin x 3 weekly = 51wks).

I fully understand what BCNA’s support means to women with breast cancer and their families.

I decided to GO PINK for a purpose and support BCNA , after raising $1020 running the City to Surf in Sydney. Thank you to many generous friends and family who supported me.

The Sussan Women’s Fun Run is a true celebration of Sisterhood, encouraging good health, fitness and FUN!  What is stopping you ?

To register, go http://www.supersprint.com.au/events/sussan-women%27s-fun-run-2013.aspx

To set up your own Go Pink for a Purpose page just go to
http://sussanwomensfunrun2013.gofundraise.com.au.

To pre-­order your PINKnic box go to
http://www.supersprint.com.au/events/sussan-women%27s-fun-run-2013/pink-nic.aspx

 I'm going PINK for a Purpose in Sussan Women’s Fun Run  , raising funds for Breast Cancer Network Australia, if you would like to sponsor me - every $  or [$21.10] counts ;) - sponsor me here