Monday 14 April 2014

I Touch Myself Project

I started to see news of this project featuring Chrissy Amphlett's “I Touch Myself” filtering through my Facebook feed last night.
It is too close to my heart. It stopped me in my tracks.


  • Talking to strangers or people in my real life about my boobs or lack there of. I feel a bit creeped out weird about what I overshare ; things I wouldn't have dare previously said out loud  to people about in real life .
Right now I have a pain in heart and a tear in my eye. I'm living in fear.

As Chrissie rode out on a horse called Music , she left us this legacy (sorry Willie) when she passed away almost a year ago

Early detection is vital.
My friend the dear Mrs Woog is an ambassador for

I Touch Myself Project.

Go ahead and check it out , then check yourself I'll wait.

Not sure how ?

One of the reasons I am blogging about my breast cancer journey is to raise and spread awareness. I know that reminding people to check their breasts could save their life.



Right now - I have a tortuous and terrifying 8wks wait (for a PET SCAN to see if the nodules found recently on my lungs are something to worry about - related to Breast cancer (or my MPNST Sarcoma) or nothing. They are too small right now to biopsy . The fear is crippling me. I wouldn't wish it on anyone - so please take note and touch yourself.


Touching yourself is healthy habit that should be as much a part of your daily routine, like showering, dressing and looking in the mirror. 

You don't need to wait for a special day, check your breasts wherever and whenever works for you but do it regularly. A minimum of monthly is recommended.


I was always a little Breast Aware but even so I was slack and hap hazard about checking.
I wasn't aware of all the changes to look for ...it isn't just a lump.


Most breast changes aren’t due to cancer - but if you find a change that is unusual for you, see your GP to make sure.

I had 2-3 symptoms at diagnosis - though my breasts were always lumpy. I found this website which tell you what to look for

 

cheeky check-up A new lump or lumpiness, especially if it's only in one breast.
cheeky check-up
cheeky check-up A change in the size or shape of your breast.
cheeky check-up
cheeky check-up A change to the nipple such as crusting, ulcer, redness or inversion.
cheeky check-up
cheeky check-up A nipple discharge that occurs without squeezing
cheeky check-up
cheeky check-up A change in the skin of your breast such as redness or dimpling.
cheeky check-up
cheeky check-up An unusual pain that doesn't go away.
cheeky check-up

I had 2-3 symptoms at diagnosis - pain, discharge on squeezing (because I had pain) and my breasts were always kind of lumpy. I did see my GP immediately, both times I had nipple discharge. May 2011 it wasn't breast cancer (that I know).

How do you reduce your risks ? 

How do you calculate your risk based on evidence ?
Calculator

 I didn't know that an inherited faulty gene only accounts for 5% of all breast cancers. Even then breast cancer is so common that it need not be a faulty inherited gene that causes BC within the same family.

I thought it couldn't happen to me , though I've had several mammograms and ultrasounds despite that misguided belief...just for reassurance.


So have you felt yourself today ...you can never be too busy !


 I'm sorry if this makes your uncomfortable !

Watch the video and share it with all the women (and men) you know.

Thanks to Allie's suggestion - yes there is an app for that .

a fun one - Your man reminder

http://www.ibreastcheck.com/  in App store and Android.